Metal fabrication is the process of building metal structures and machines using sheet metals. This process is used in a wide range of industries, including:
- Utilities and waste management
- Construction and civil engineering
- Carpentries, boilers and vessels
- Chemicals and pharmaceuticals
- Shipbuilding and repair
Industrial and commercial companies also require metal fabrication services. The companies usually purchase customized metal parts for office buildings, warehouses, plants and other spaces.
Process of Metal Fabrication
Metal fabrication involves burning and cutting of sheet metal using special tools like band saws. The tools can cut, bend, shape, shear, crimp and stamp sheet metals. Band saws have specially-made blades that have been hardened and designed to evenly cut sheet metal. Other tools used in the metal fabrication process include chop saws and cutting torches.
After the metal sheets have been cut, they are welded and tucked into place. Different welding techniques may be used to prevent visual defects such as warping. For instance, the metal can be welded in a delayed manner or covered with sand during the cooling process to straighten. To prevent warping, the metal is heated slowly in a linear manner.
When the metal cools down, it can be painted and primed.
Advantages of Metal Fabrication
Sheet metal fabrication has a number of advantages. These include:
- Cost effectiveness: Generally, metal is cost effective especially in long-term or high-volume production runs.
- Versatility: Metal can be fabricated through various processes such as chipping, soldering, forging, welding, deep drawing and casting.
- Improved Strength: Fabricated grade metals tend to be harder and stronger than other materials used for manufacturing.
- Heat Resistance: Fabricated metals typically have a higher melting point. Therefore, they are less likely to degrade under increased temperatures.
Continental Industries provides high-rated sheet metal fabrication services. We would love to assist you with a quote. For further information about our services click here